It is not just the best pain management clinic in Kolkata or the best pain management hospital in Kolkata, it is the best pain clinic in the country. We received the “Best Pain Clinic” award from ISSP, the Indian chapter of IASP. We also received “Excellence in Pain Practice” by the World Institute of Pain in 3 categories for quality pain practice, research & training for the first time in the whole of Asia. Our director has authored several books on pain management for doctors.
We offer treatment headaches, spine pain like neck pain & back pain, knee pain, cancer pain, shoulder pain etc. due to migraine, trigeminal neuralgia, arthritis, slipped disc, spondylosis, or neuro spine-related diseases. We use advanced procedures like, Ozone Nucleolysis, Radio-Frequency procedures, Spinal Cord Stimulation, Endoscopic Discectomy, Vertebroplasty, intrathecal pump etc.
When was DARADIA founded?
The meaning of ‘DARADIA’ in Bengali is one who is compassionate & feels others’ pain. Daradia: The Pain Clinic1 is a pain management clinic for the treatment of patients suffering from pain, researches in pain management, training of physicians in pain management, and offering pain management fellowships to physicians. It had been founded and registered in Sept 2008 in Kolkata, India and it had been inaugurated by Commissioner of Police of Kolkata Gautam Mohan Chakraborty at that time.
It was founded by Pain Physician Dr Gautam Das2 who had vast experience in practicing pain over a decade at the time of opening this clinic. The clinic was initially established with two daycare beds at Ultadanga, Kolkata and later it had its own fully functioning pain management hospital with 12 beds in 2018. A fully functioning dedicated pain management hospital with in-patients’ beds was the first time in India that point of time.
Facilities of treatment & areas of experience
Daradia has facilities of all modern interventional pain management. Daradia offers treatment of different types headaches, spinal pain like neck pain or back pain, knee pain, cancer pain, shoulder pain, nerve pain etc. due to migraine, trigeminal neuralgia, arthritis, herniated disc , spondylosis, etc. I uses advanced procedures like, Ozone Nucleolysis, Radio-Frequency procedures (all RF procedures like conventional, bipolar, pulsed and cooled radiofrequency), spinal cord Stimulation, Endoscopic Discectomy, Epiduroscopy, Cryoablation or cryoneurolysis, Vertebroplasty, intrathecal pump, etc.
This pain clinic is the pioneer of the many treatment procedures in India and popularized those in India. The patient involves this pain clinic from everywhere the country and lots of other countries like Bangladesh, Nepal, Malaysia, Indonesia, UAE, Kuwait, etc.
Facilities of Research
- Daradia has its research and publication team and encourages researches in pain management. Research on ozone nucleolysis3 was published in 2009. It had been the first original article on ozone therapy from India.
- It has many other publications including a recent publication in 2021 on cryoneurolysis in sacroiliac joint pain4 which was the first-ever published article on cryoneurolysis in Sacroiliac joint.
- Daradia has its own institutional ethics committee approved “Central Drugs Standard Control Organization” of Government of India to control researches conducted at this Institute.
Facilities of training of Doctors
Daradia has trained more than a thousand pain physicians from all over the globe.
- Doctors came here from 41 countries like USA, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Egypt, Bangladesh, etc. They attended many short pain management courses or pain management fellowship programs organized in association with Aesculap Academy5.
- Some workshops were affiliated with international organizations just like the World Institute of Pain or the International Association for Study of Pain.
- Benny Malakoane, health minister of Free State (one state of South Africa ) of South Africa came to Kolkata in 2015 for pain management training. He appreciated and recommended Gautam Das and Daradia: The Pain Clinic6 for the training of doctors in pain management.
- It features a skill development lab where there are indigenously made simulation models. These give excellent hands-on experiences to the course participants for learning difficult interventional pain management procedures.
- Daradia has organized various short workshops with other medical colleges and international conferences in Kolkata and various other cities of India. During the Covid era, Daradia has started an online fellowship in pain management7 in association with Aesculap Academy, aside from its one-year fellowship.
About our founder
Dr Gautam Das was an anesthesiologist and pain physician, but gradually he left anesthesia practice and have become a full-time pain physician. After more than 10 years of practice in pain management, he started Daradia Pain Clinic and began the treatment of patients, and began training physicians.
Publications of Gautam Das
- He has more than 100 publications8, book chapters, and 4 books on pain management.
- His book on ‘Clinical Methods in Pain Medicine’9 was 1st ever book on pain management specialty where examination of a pain patient was systemically arranged. The second edition of this book was inaugurated by that time honorable Governor of West Bengal Sri Kesharinath Tripathi10.
- Another book by him on ‘Basics of Pain Management’ was inaugurated by the health minister of South Africa Benny Malakoane11.
- Currently, he’s the editor-in-chief of the Journal on Recent Advances in Pain12.
- He was the past Editor-in-chief of Indian journal of pain which is the official journal of Indian Society for Study of Pain.
Contributions Gautam Das as teacher and exeminer
- He’s visiting faculty at R G Kar Medical College, Kolkata;
- Adjunct faculty at Dutta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha, Maharashtra.
- He’s the examiner of the FIPP examination by the World Institute of Pain, and in Indian Universities for pain management examination.
- Dr Das has been invited at various national and international conferences in India and abroad as a keynote speaker and delivered thousands of lectures on various aspects of pain management.
- He was invited as chief instructor and workshop coordinator at pain management workshops conducted 3 times a year from 2011 to 2018 at Padjadjaran University, Bandung, Indonesia.
- Dr Gautam Das was the chairman of the India, Iran, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka chapters of the planet Institute of Pain from 2007 to 2012.
- Dr Das was the editor-in-chief of the Indian Journal of Pain from 2012 to 2015.
- He was president of the Indian Society for Study of Pain 2018-19.
Dr Chinmoy Roy MD, FIPP is the chief pain physician and head of the department of pain management.
Publications on pain management by Chinmoy Roy
He has total 17 publications in different national and international medical journals
Contributions in medical literature by Chinmoy Roy
He is the author and editor of several books on pain management written for doctors:
- Co-editor of the book named ‘How to start and run a pain clinic’ also contributor of the chapter (no 9) on “Evidence based recommendations in pain management‘’ (publisher- CBS)
- Co-editor of the book named ‘Clinical methods in pain medicine’ & also contributor of the chapter (no 7) on ‘evaluation of back pain’ (publisher-CBS)
- Author and editor of the book: MCQs in pain medicine (Publisher-CBS)
Contribution Dr Chinmoy Roy as Editor/ Reviewer in medical journals:
- Reviewer of ‘Journal of rehabilitation Medicine’.
- He is reviewer of ‘Acta Radiologica’.
- Reviewer of ‘Journal of clinical monitoring and computing’
- Ex-Associate executive editor of ‘Indian journal of pain’
Other qualifications of Dr Chinmoy Roy:
- 2 years of EULAR online course on Rheumatic diseases
- EULAR online introductory ultrasound course
- Associated with (attended conferences as both delegate and faculty): IMA, ISA, ISSP, IASP, WIP, NSI, IRA, IASM
About Consultant Pain Physician
Dr. Debjyoti Dutta MD, FIPP, FIPM, FIAPM is the consultant pain physician at Daradia
Publications in pain management by Dr Debjyoti Dutta
He has total 10 publications in different national and international medical journals
Experience of Dr Debjyoti Dutta
- Faculty – Aesculap Academy pain management courses at Daradia Pain Clinic Kolkata
- Ex- Assistant Professor and In Charge of Pain Clinic at College of Medicine and JNM Hospital, West Bengal University of Health Sciences.
- Publications in national and international scientific journals – 8
- ORGANISING SECRATORY – ICRA – PAIN KOLKATA 2015 and 2016
- GC Member – Indian Society for The Study of pain and West Bengal Society for the study of pain.
Awards received by DARADIA
- Daradia: The Pain Clinic received the ‘Best Pain Clinic’ award from the hand of Governor Himachal Pradesh in 2011 at PGI Chandigarh awarded by the Indian Society for Study of Pain. This was the first time within the history of pain management in India.
- It also received the ‘Excellence in Pain Practice’ award by the World Institute of Pain13 in 2010 in all three categories of pain practice, research in pain medicine, and training of doctors in pain medicine.
- Daradia used to organize many courses and workshops some of them were recognized by the International Association for study of pain14, 15.